Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Mom's Lazy Thanksgiving

Don't get me wrong...I LOVE holiday celebrations and everything that goes with them. I'm always thinking what fun it would be to "do that" or "make this" to go along with whatever festive day it is. But, yesterday at my MOPS meeting, our leader read this hilarious poem by Mariane Holbrook that I got such a kick out of!
Enjoy, and Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Tis the night before Thanksgiving
And all through our house
No turkey is baking; I feel like a louse.
For I am all nestled, so snug in my bed;
I'm not getting up and I'm not bakin' bread.
No pies in my oven, no cranberry sauce
Cuz I give the orders, and I am the boss.
When out in the kitchen, there arose such a clatter
I almost got up to see what was the matter.
As I drew in my head and was tossing around
To the bed came my husband, he grimmaced, he frowned.
And laying his finger aside of his nose,
He scared me to death and I thought, "Here he goes!"
He spoke not a word as he threw back my quilt
And the look that he gave was intended to wilt.
So up to the ceiling my pillows he threw
I knew I had had it, his face had turned blue.
"You prancer, you dodger, you're lazy, you vixen
Out yonder in kitchen, Thanksgiving you're fixin."
But he heard me explain, with my face in a pout:
"I'm JUST PLAIN TOO TIRED and we're EATING OUT!"


(Eating out on Thanksgiving always reminds me of the Chinese restaurant with the roasted whole duck scene from "A Christmas Story." Ha!)

1 comment:

Nancy Comelab said...

Lol Becky... too funny! {hugs}